Friday, September 21, 2007

Our "Big" Trip to Ann Arbor


Marcin and I went to Ann Arbor, MI to watch Chelsea, my sister, play in a tournament at the University of Michigan. It was a short trip, but well worth it. We got to see Utah Valley State play against Temple University and UVSC did a great job! It's Chelsea's senior year and it was really fun to be able to watch her play all four years at UVSC since we both went there. I can't believe this is her last season!

Just to give a little insight into our weekend... While we were there, Michigan was also having a home football game on Saturday. Now, I don't know how many of you follow college football, but it pretty much rules Marcin's world during the season. Because of that, I know way more about college football than I ever cared to know about. Michigan was playing Notre Dame that day and both are doing pretty poorly, but that did not deter Michigan fans in any way. They were terrible! Even at the volleyball tournament it was torturous to sit near them. Their little cheers and chants at the teams were so obnoxious.

I also booked our hotel for Friday night through Hotels.com. I had called every place I could find on the internet near the University and everything was booked because of the home football game. Not to mention if the hotel wasn't booked, it was outrageously expensive or you had to stay at least two nights. So hotels.com found one with a room available and it was called A Victory Inn and Suites. There were pictures on-line of this newly "renovated" hotel so I thought it didn't look so bad. We finally check in at about eleven Friday night and driving up to it I was already worried. When I walked in, the whole front desk area REEKED of curry! As I began to look around I realized why; this hotel was attached to a Thai restaurant that looked as run down as the hotel. I reassured myself that the room wouldn't smell that way and got our key to proceed down the hall to hell. When we opened the door to our room, a HUGE insect that I guarentee is in the centipeed's family was quickly scrambling out of sight. The ceiling was pure cinder block with water stains everywhere, the bathroom had definitely not been cleaned (a fair assumption once you looked at the toilet) and the ceiling in the bathroom had been patched up with plywood. I immediately broke down.

Marcin called hotels.com and got everything worked out and we ended up at this really nice place called Kensington Court, which happened to be the same price as Victory Inn and Suites and might I add was not too cheap for our budget! Not to say that you shouldn't book with hotels.com because they were very helpful and nice, but I'd just make sure somehow that it's a place you've at least heard of! The rest of the weekend was great mainly because we got to see Chelsea. I always miss my family and it's nice when we get the chance to see any of them. I was so proud of Chels and how she played! Hopefully we'll get the chance to see her play again soon, but if not that just makes this trip that much more worth it.

3 comments:

Brenda said...

Great blog, Brittany. I loved seeing the pics from your trip to Michigan. You and Marcin are such a cute couple!!! You and Chels are pretty cute, too!haha.

Rachel Holloway said...

Sounds like so much fun!!!

Lara said...

ooh! Fun weekend! You and Marcin look so cute together in the first pic!