


As most of my close friends and family know, I love reading. I tell people constantly that I went to college to be in a book club (I am an English major so all I did was read, write, discuss any book assigned). Lately I've been on a book-buying kick and cannot seem to control myself while in Borders or Barnes and Noble so I have to stear clear of both. With so many new books to read, I could not decide on which one until some friends recommended a few to me. Haley, Stacy and Lara swore by these books by an author I had never heard of named Stephanie Meyer. All three said they couldn't put her books (yes plural) down and that I had to read them. I also thought they seemed a little vague on information on the book with the exception of "They're really cheesy junior high love story type books". Hmmm.... not really my favorite. I took Haley up on her suggestion to read the first called Twilight. It wasn't only her encouragement though, I admit. The book club I'm in (I'm starting to sound a little too geeky, I think) picked Twilight as our read for the month so I thought what better reason to read than that? And so began my downward spiral into the world of junior high love stories and vampires. Yes, you read correctly: vampires. I now clearly understand why my friends chagrined at my questioning of the contents of these books. You feel like a weirdo reading about vampires being in love with humans and vice versa! I LOVE THEM!! Not the vampires, the books. So here is my warning: DO NOT BEGIN THIS TRILOGY UNLESS YOU ARE PREPARED TO READ AT THE EXPENSE OF EVERYTHING ELSE IN YOUR LIFE!!! I was up until five o'clock this morning finishing the second one New Moon. I cannot stop. Luckily, I don't have a life at the moment, BUT STILL!! It's my newest guilty pleasure and I'll probably start the third one up today. If you don't hear from me soon, I'll be locked up somewhere reading...
9 comments:
So, I've been really skeptical...for pretty much the same reasons you were. I'm a literature nerd and thought that these books can't be worth my while.If you say they're as good as they are then I guess I'll have to break down and read them.
Most of my friends are hooked on those books and love them to death. I hear they are making movies out of them. Did you know the author is Mormon? Graduated from BYU. Yup. It's true. That's why their considered "clean" for a vampire book. I actually ordered the first one a few days ago. It should be in the mail soon. I'm in a book club too. So don't feel too geeky. Unless you consider me one as well.
Okay Brittany you're like the 500th person that has told me how much they LOVE these books! I've got to get on the ball...but like you said I'm sort of afraid I'd end up neglecting my kids until I was finished! Anyway, have a good trip this weekend and good luck with your new job!
Brittany- I am with you. I read each one in a day and neglected my three kids in the process. I guess they were very popular in Utah and now are finally getting around to the east. I too have been spreading the news about this book to all my friends and family, its kind of hard to pursuade them with the vampires and wolves though!
Yah sista! I told you that you would love them! (Even if they are totally cheesy!) It was fun working with you today, the blog looks great!
Hey Britt,
Love your new blog! Very professional looking! I guess I'm going to have to get those books. I'm in a book club too, but I don't go to the meetings. In fact I don't think they have meetings anymore. We just say we're in a bookclub so we can get free shipping! haha. I'm so glad you and Marcin get to go to Ann Arbor. Cheer on Chelsea for me! Have a great time!
I have also heard about these books but I can't get them yet, there 114 holds before me at the library! So I am waiting my LONG wait to get them! I hope it is soon, I love to read also and I need a good book to read SO bad!
I have no kids and not a lot going on right now, so I am ready to read! What book club are you in? I need to get into one so I know what book to read next!
Oh my hell, I LOVE those books. I'm not an avid reader, but all my friends also talked me into reading them and I was so hooked. I'm actually reading them for the second time, which is a record for me.
Hey, I missed the part about your new job Email me and tell me what you're doing. Sales like me?
Post a Comment